Why Osteopathy treatments for Hernia?
A hernia, prolapse or protruding disc is where the liquid between the vertebra’s has leaked. Unbalancing the vertebra and causing a reduced space in the spine.
A hernia, prolapse or protruding disc can cause serve pain in the spine and the muscles around the compromised disc. A hernia, in the neck for example, causes pain to the local area and often, travels from the neck to the hands. Normally hernia pain increases or decreases with rotation.
Osteopathy tests for a hernia
While the patient is seated, his / her arm is lifted up to 90º (on the side that is painful). Pressure is applied to the head with a light rotation and inflexion to the side that is irritating the patient. Pain traveling to the shoulder or down the arm indicates a problem with one of the discs in the neck.
Osteopathy treatments for hernia while in chronic stage
- Tests to local the main pain points in the neck.
- Apply trigger points technique to the surround muscles applying ice to the area after each point.
- Quiro massage for the neck first
- Shoulder and upper back mobilization
- Stretches to the effected and surrounding muscles
- Traction, slowly and progressively, Light rotation (both sides) Inflexion (without passing 30º) Repeat 3 times
Osteopathy treatments for hernia after the chronic stage
After the chronic stage has passed the previous treatment is applied but also indirect rotation techniques working from C7 up to unblock any misaligned vertebra’s are added. If there is no radiating pain C1 and 2 can also be unblocked.
For more information or to book your Osteopathy session with Simplybe in Barcelona click here. We recommend that our Osteopathy sessions are followed by Pilate’s sessions to prevent future injury and aid recover. Click here to find out more
This post is also available in: Spanish