Osteopathy treatment for piriformis syndrome focuses on relaxing and releasing tension in the Piriformis muscle. The piriforme muscle is situated between the sacrum and the femur. It acts as an external rotator muscle for the femur and abductor.
Many people seek osteopathy treatments for piriformis syndrome as it is the muscle that can cause irritation to the sciatica nerve. It is a common syndrome for women during pregnancy in the second and third trimester.
Some of the cause of piriformis syndrome include; repetitive movements, a fall while sitting, arthritis in the hip or misalignments in the knee and foot.
The symptoms include; pain in the lower back when the femur is pulled in an external rotation and pain in the gluteus and down the leg. Normally the pain occurs when the patient is moving and reduces when the patient rests.
Without osteopathy or other reajusting treatments the femur may become blocked in external rotation unbalancing the hips and causing misalignment in the knee and foot. This unbalance in the hips can cause “false short leg syndrome” and “pseudo sciatica”. The proximity to the nerves and vessels can cause lack of sensitivity in the genitals in serve cases.
Osteopathy tests for Piriformis syndrome
- External isometric rotations while patient is seated
- Patient lying face up and observation of any rotation in the feet
- Pain test along the piriformis muscle
Osteopathy treatment for Piriformis syndrome
- Trigger point treatment on the muscles combined with ice
- Quiromassage in the lower back and opposite gluteus
- Cyriax treatment combined with friction massage on the piriformis muscles
- Passive stretching for the gluteus, piriformis and hamstrings
- Sacrum mobilization and steering mobilization to both hip bones
Osteopathy manipulations are performed while the hips are positioned in category 3. Catagory 3 achieved with the use of osteopathy supports.
- Sacrum, mobilized away from the contracted muscle
- Unblocking the lumber spine and lower thoracic spine in rotation, inflexion, extension and flexion.
- Unblocking cervical vertebra joints if necessary
- Stretches for all external rotation muscles and exercise program of stretches for home use.
For more information regarding osteopathy treatments for piriformis syndrome in Barcelona with Simplybe click here
For more information about pilates classes click here
More from my site
This post is also available in: Spanish